Monday, October 31, 2011

Grandma Emmy Cont...

(Our oldest, Jackson with his Great Grandma Emmy)




The Gift of Motherhood



The Family:A Proclamation to the World, Paragraph 7


The family is ordained of God…Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners.



I can remember going to visit Grandma Emmy as a young mother. I had just graduated from college and had my first son, Jackson. Kevin was still in college and working 3 jobs so that I could be home with our baby. Grandma gave me some advice that I’ve never forgotten. She talked to me about the blessing of raising children and of being a mother. She spoke of the importance of mothers raising their children and that when times are tough, it’s ok to live on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, if that’s what it takes to be home with the children. I’ve thought about that conversation often over the years, especially through hard times when I wondered how we would ever make ends meet with just one breadwinner. Every time I make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches I think of Grandma.





No comments:

Post a Comment