Friday, December 9, 2011

Grandma Moon




Grandma Moon



Grandma Moon was my mother’s mother. I was her first grandchild and probably her favorite! Actually, I think every one of her grandchildren thought they were her favorite in the way that she loved unconditionally and made every one of us feel important and special. She was probably the kindest woman I have ever met. She was a sweetheart and everyone adored her.




Work



Hard work is a blessing of God. It involves going after it “with all your heart, might mind and strength.” (Doctrine & Covenants 4:2) That alone is the difference between the average and the excellent.


F. David Stanley




Grandma Moon was a hard worker. She was a devoted wife and mother of 6 children: a son who died as an infant, another son and 4 daughters. She not only ran a household—and ran it well, but also spent a great deal of time outdoors helping on the farm, milking cows and driving the tractor. She could work as hard as any man. She also grew a garden and bottled everything she harvested. She was a wonderful cook. She spent numerous hours sewing and patching clothes. There wasn’t anything she couldn’t do. Sometimes when I feel overwhelmed with keeping house I think of Grandma and am reminded I don’t have it so hard without a farm to care for as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment