Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Sewing Project

You know it's going to be a good day when...
You have this for breakfast!
BEFORE...

About a year ago I made my niece Lyla Rebecca (my first niece ever to be named after me :) a rag quilt. I had some squares left over and had good intentions of making burpers for baby gifts.


THE TOOLS


THE PROCEDURE

This was the first time I'd used the daughters sewing machine.
I was IMMEDIATELY reminded why I don't sew much.
It's just one mistake after another.


I'm pretty much a professional seam ripper!




Another mistake...

I added an extra square to this row...more unpicking.


And another mistake...sewed these two rows together the wrong way. It was supposed to look like this...

I could try to explain how to make these quilts but I can't imagine it coming out in a way you could understand...so if you'd like to make one they are very easy and you could probably find instructions on the Internet.

Once I got in a groove I cranked them out pretty fast...I even began humming to myself and thinking happy thoughts...sewing can do that for you when you're actually sewing and not unpicking.

Once I had everything sewed and the edges snipped I washed and dried them to make the edges "fray".

AFTER...

Check it out, I made 9 in one afternoon!
And only 1 of the 9 has an obvious mistake, not bad.
(Nevermind that I could have probably made double that had I not done all that unpicking)
A big thanks to the daughter for buying herself a new sewing machine after breaking mine.
A big thanks to the mother-in-law for teaching me how to make a rag quilt and letting me borrow her scissors.
And a big thanks to the husband for working hard so I could buy the fabric to make these very cute baby burpers!
D shares a poem about gratitude
Thank God for dirty dishes,
They have a tale to tell;
While other folks go hungry,
We're eating very well.
With home and health and happiness
We shouldn't want to fuss,
For by this stack of evidence,
God's very good to us.
"Dear Abby" column

This one is my favorite.



3 comments:

  1. Cute, cute, cute!!! If I was still having babies, I would have to have one of those. REALLY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up! Thanks for the laugh! I think you are quickly becoming a sterling scholar in the home economics department!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to have my "Macey Rebecca" to get the burp cloth AND the blanket to match!

    ReplyDelete